Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Semi-Kiwi - Brian Turner

The barn roof needs painting
and the spouting is ruined.
Likewise the roof of this house
in which we live, borer here,
rot there. Im neither handy
in the great Kiwi DIY tradition,
nor monied, which rather leaves
us up shit creek without a shovel.
I grub to find what Stevens called
the ‘plain sense of things’
and come up empty-handed
more often than not, but
I’m a dab-hand at recognising, 
if not suppressing, self-pity,
and I can back a trailer
expertly, so all is not lost.


Sharpe, I. (Ed.). (2001, January 1). Best New Zealand Poems 2001. Retrieved from http://www.victoria.ac.nz/modernletters/bnzp/2001/home.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi there
    I realise you haven't posted in a while - I have been typing up NZ poems to teach in school and could send some through if you wanted
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete