Monday, June 20, 2011

Leaving Prince Charming Behind - Karlo Mila

Leaving Prince Charming Behind
- Karlo Mila

For a while I thought we were living the fairytale
but sadly I realised that this the myth
and you were so busy believing
that we were living the happily ever after
I don't think you noticed for a while
I'd rejected the role of princess in your production.

I am Rapunzel with her dreadlocks shorn
tyring to pull down the tower with broken nails
cursing your name.

I believed you the architect of my isolation
and it didn't matter
what you tried to do
the poison apple was lodged firmly in my throat
and not believing in glass slipper
redemption
I worked my own midnight magic for all it was worth
red blood, white cloth
mirrors on the wall.

My poor dark prince on your gallant white horse
the shoe didn't fit
your kiss couldn't wake me up
to your way of thinking.

I transformed myself into
a beautiful dragon
you felt honour bound
to slay.




Karlo Mila is of Tongan, Palangi and Samoan descent. She was born in Rotorua, grew up in Palmerston North and now lives and works in Auckland. She has had poetry published in Whetu Moana, Best New Zealand Poems 2003, Short Fuse: The Global Anthology of Fusion Poetry, the Listener and Coffee and Coconuts. Karlo performs live poetry regularly.

http://nixie1.livejournal.com/?skip=10&tag=karlo%20mila

No comments:

Post a Comment