Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tane Mahuta - Karlo Mila

Tane Mahuta
- Karlo Mila

Tane Mahuta
holding up the sky
weathering storms
absorbing lightning
holding tears in your leaves
cupped gentle in your fingertips

Tane Mahuta
I see your face
unblinking in the sun
I see you blow kisses at the stars
you look into the eye of the moon
and smile back at her when tears threaten

Tane Mahuta
a forest will gather gentle around you
I want to wrap my arms aroud your limbs
feel your heart beat against my chest
I will strip away the dead leaves
I will carry your seeds in my pockets

Tane Mahuta
I want to help lift your heavy heart
from your foundations
to the uttermost tips of your twigs
I will sing with the birds
resting in your elbows
I will war their feathers
in my hair

Tane Mahuta
evergreen to me
I will hide in the hollow of your heart
and sing the sacred song
to your spirit
I will tickle your toes
and the whole forest will quake
with your laughter



Karlo Mila is of Tongan, Palangi and Samoan descent. She was born in Rotorua, grew up in Palmerston North and now lives and works in Auckland. She has had poetry published in Whetu Moana, Best New Zealand Poems 2003, Short Fuse: The Global Anthology of Fusion Poetry, the Listener and Coffee and Coconuts. Karlo performs live poetry regularly.

http://nixie1.livejournal.com/tag/karlo%20mila

No comments:

Post a Comment