Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Tides Run Up The Wairau – Eileen Duggan

The Tides Run Up The Wairau – Eileen Duggan

The tides run up the Wairau
That fights against their flow.
My heart and it together
Are running salt and snow.

For though I cannot love you,
Yet, heavy, deep, and far,
Your tide of love comes swining,
Too swift for me to bar.

Some though of you must linger,
A salt of pain in me
For oh what running river
Can stand against the sea?

.
O'Sullivan, V. (Ed.). (1979). An anthology of twentieth century New Zealand poetry. Wellington: Oxford University Press.

1 comment:

  1. Hi -
    I am collecting poems about NZ rivers: http://envirohistorynz.com/2015/04/06/poems-about-new-zealand-rivers/
    and a reader put me on to this one. Just wondering, should the line "Some though of you must linger" be "Some thought of you must linger"?
    Thanks! envirohistory NZ

    ReplyDelete